This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
These tender chicken fillets, cooked in an ultra-creamy, creamy lemon and sage sauce, are the perfect way to please your friends or treat yourself. Comforting yet light and tasty, this recipe is perfect for any occasion - and be warned, it's very, very addictive...
To impress your friends, make your family salivate or take your date tonight to 7th heaven, this recipe is one of my must-haves, summer or winter!
💙 Why you'll love it
- It's super-easy to make: just cook the chicken fillets, prepare the sauce and add them.
- It requires only ingredients that are easy to find and use.
- It can be kept for several days, making it ideal for batch cooking.
- Everything is done in a single pan, so you'll have very few dishes to wash!
- It is gluten-free.
These are the main ingredients, and the quantities can be found in the recipe card below.
- Chicken: choose boneless, skinless chicken fillets or cutlets.
- Yellow lemons. Since we'll be using their zest (and juice), get them organic.
- Creme fraiche
- Fresh herbs: basil and sage to flavour the sauce.
- Garlic - if you want to choose your garlic carefully so you do not encourage the slavery of Chinese prisoners, read my Eco Tips on the subject.
- White or yellow onion, to spice up the sauce.
- White wine: used as a deglazing agent, it can be replaced by a few drops of lemon juice or a little vegetable or poultry stock.
- Strong Dijon mustard, to add flavour to the sauce.
- Flour (or cornflour): Grandma's tip: coating chicken fillets with flour before cooking them makes them tender and juicy (instead of hard and dry).
✨What to accompany it with?
You have several options:
- Basmati rice: lightly scented, it's the perfect accompaniment to this chicken.
- Pasta: Tagliatelle, Linguine or Orzo pasta (also known as bird's tongue) topped with lemon and sage sauce would be a delicious accompaniment.
- Grilled vegetables: in summer, opt for zucchini, peppers or asparagus. Their grilled flavours add a touch of freshness and crunch that goes well with chicken. In winter, turn to roasted carrots, parsnips, mashed celeriac, roasted Brussels sprouts or roasted butternut squash.
- Green salad: for a lighter option, a fresh, crisp green salad dressed with a light vinaigrette is the perfect accompaniment to chicken.
🥰 The chef's advice
Don't overcook the chicken fillets, otherwise they may become tough.
💡 Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, of course, since it can be stored for 2 to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
If you don't drink alcohol or don't have any, don't worry: you can easily replace it with a bit of lemon juice or broth (vegetable or chicken).
❄️Storage / freezing
Once the dish is completely cold, place it in an airtight Tupperware-style container in the fridge. This means you can keep it for 2 to 3 days.
You can also freeze it: make sure it's well chilled, then place it in a freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible, write the date and name of the recipe, then place in the freezer. If you wish to make several portions, place them in separate freezer bags.
To defrost, simply return the chicken to a bowl and place in the microwave, oven or saucepan for a few minutes.
🍋 Other lemon delights
If you make this chicken, it would be so nice to leave me a comment and rate the recipe ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️. You can also tag me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook or Tik Tok, or even send me a photo, I love seeing my little dishes in your homes!
Creamy lemon and sage chicken
- 12 oz chicken fillets
- 1 yellow lemon
- 1 ⅔ cups creme fraiche
- basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- olive oil
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Season your chicken fillets with salt and pepper, then coat them in flour on each side.
- Place them in a pan with a drizzle of olive oil, along with minced garlic and onion. Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side. Meanwhile, grate your Parmesan.
- Set aside and prepare the sauce: deglaze the chicken cooking pan with white wine and scrape with a wooden spoon to collect all the cooking juices. Grate the zest of the entire lemon, add the juice of half, the creme fraiche, finely minced sage leaves, and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Let it cook for a few minutes, then return the chicken fillets to the pan for a few minutes to reheat. Serve on plates, sprinkle with sage and fresh basil, and enjoy!
- To accompany this chicken: Basmati rice, pasta, grilled vegetables, or a green salad.
- Once in an airtight container in the fridge, it can be stored for 3 to 4 days.