This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
As pretty as it is delicious, this beet risotto with feta and lime zest is a real treat! The sweetness of the beet blends perfectly with the light acidity of the lime and the freshness of the feta. And it's so smooth and creamy. We're off to Italy.
💙 Why you'll love it
- It's absolutely delicious, and with all my advice, it can't be beaten.
- It can be used in an infinite number of ways: scallop risotto, roasted butternut squash and saffron risotto, tomato and spicy shrimp risotto, truffle and Parmesan risotto or even quinotto (quinoa risotto).
- It will take you all the way to Italy.
- It is gluten-free (check that your white wine is gluten-free).
These are the main ingredients, and the quantities can be found in the recipe card below.
- From vegetable bouillon cubes - you can make your own vegetable bouillon cubes with this delicious recipe. It's much healthier and really tastes better too!
- Garlic - if you want to choose your garlic carefully so you do not encourage the slavery of Chinese prisoners, read my Eco Tips on the subject.
- As for beet, I recommend using one that's already cooked, as it goes much faster.
- A yellow onion, to lightly flavor the risotto.
- Risotto rice of course: I recommend Carnaroli or Arborio rice, as you can't make risotto with basic rice. Round rice is essential.
- A little white wine: this can be replaced by lemon juice or simply stock (poultry or vegetable).
- Parmesan cheese: I recommend buying it in blocks and grating it yourself at the last minute. It's so much better than bagged Parmesan!
- A lime that goes incredibly well with beet!
- Feta cheese for a touch of freshness.
✅ Vegan and dairy-free version
To make this recipe vegan and dairy-free, replace the feta and Parmesan cheese with your favorite vegetable faux-mages.
🥰 Chef's tips
- It's crucial to leave the butter in the fridge until the last moment, to use it cold. The incorporation of the latter into the risotto is called "mantecare": it's what makes the risotto really creamy and melt-in-the-mouth.
- For a successful risotto, add the stock a little at a time, never all at once. The idea is to add broth, let it evaporate, then add more... and so on until the rice is cooked.
💡 Frequently Asked Questions
Choose Carnaroli or Arborio rice; you cannot make risotto with basic rice. It must be round rice. Try to prioritize fair-trade rice.
Choose a dry white wine (Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Chablis, etc.). It is the first liquid that will come into contact with the rice and give it a flavorful taste. In very rare risotto recipes, red wine can be used.
You can use either poultry or vegetable broth, as you prefer. Or you can also make your vegetable broth cubes yourself!
If you want to drink white wine, opt for Sancerre, Graves, Entre-Deux-Mers, Côtes de Blaye, Pessac-Léognan, or Pouilly-Fumé. If you prefer red wine, Puligny-Montrachet will be perfect!
I highly recommend preparing it at the last moment; that's when it will be the best! But it can be stored for 3 days, so you could prepare it in advance if needed.
Use a bit of broth to deglaze if you do not want to use alcohol.
Once cold, place the beet risotto in an airtight container and refrigerate. This means you can keep it for 3 days.
It may dry out slightly in the fridge, so when reheating, feel free to add a little vegetable stock or at least water. Mix well, reheat and enjoy piping hot!
😋Other gourmet recipes
If you make this beet risotto, it would be so nice to leave me a comment and rate the recipe ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️. You can also tag me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook or Tik Tok, or even send me a photo, I love seeing my little dishes in your homes!
Dreamy beetroot risotto
- 3 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 ¾ cups cooked beets diced
- 2 small garlic cloves
- ½ yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cold
- ¾ cup risotto rice Carnaroli, Arborio or any other risotto rice
- 3-4 tablespoons dry white wine
- 6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- ½ lime
- ½ cup feta cheese
- fresh parsley
- Melt a cube of chicken broth in 3 ½ cups of boiling water, then blend the beetroot with ½ cup of the broth and set aside.
- Finely chop the garlic and onion, then sauté them in a saucepan with a knob of butter.
- Add the rice to the saucepan and stir for 1 minute. Deglaze with white wine and let it evaporate, stirring constantly.
- Finally, add the broth and continuously stir with a spoon in a figure-eight motion. Cook over medium heat for about 18 minutes. At halfway through, add the beetroot mixture.
- Once the risotto is cooked, add the cold butter, straight from the fridge, Parmesan, and the juice of ½ lime. Serve in plates and garnish with feta, parsley, and lime zest.